Monday, September 19, 2005

Mmmmmornin'. *Bleary-eyed look.*

Apparently it is that time of year again: stray cats. Diamond woke me up about 45 minutes ago HOWLING at the time of his lungs. I wandered into the dining room and he chatted with me from the dining room windowsill, but it was clear there wasn't anything out there at the moment, so I got comfortable and waited.

Sure enough, after several moments he went en pointe and chattered softly at an unseen visitor. I didn't get a photo because I want her to hang around us and get comfortable, and I can't do that by spooking her with flashing lights. I slowly walked up to the window and there she was: a small cat, female by her build, and partly Siamese by her markings. Actually, if there's such a thing as a mocha calico, that's what she'd be. So I jiggled the doorknob to see if she'd run to the door to get in out of the cold, or run for cover. She startled, so I left off on opening the door. She's feral, or is becoming feral.

She finally got spooked by who knows what, and ran away, causing Diamond to howl some more briefly, then settle down on the windowsill to wait for her return. I went into the kitchen and then to the small closet and got her a bowl of food, then put it outside, giving the bowl a little shake to make the yummy food rattle. I'm kind of a snob about Diamond: I don't buy food that comes in supermarkets any more because I want Diamond to be extremely healthy and live as long as he can. I admit it; I'm selfish. At least she'll be getting some good grubbins if she comes back tonight! ;-) Hopefully she does come back and eat, because the crows and magpies in the area have figured me out from previous stray cats and watch my doorstep for cat food, which they will steal in the morning.

Diamond actually met this cat a few nights ago as I was coming home around 11pm. She didn't really run away from us, she came towards us, scoped us out, but then kept going, even though I was tossing her treats. This is a good sign, I'm certain she'll be back. Tomorrow night I'll put out some food with some egg stirred in. The next night, tuna oil.

During the day (since it already IS tomorrow LOL) I'll call Feral Cats Solutions and ask them to bring a cage out here so we can get her checked out.

For the time bieng, Diamond has a new crush. ;-)

No comments: